I’m not sure what’s up with my concentration lately, but I’ve made more than my normal quilting type of mistakes. This time I was designing a gift quilt for a neighbor whose life we made miserable with large construction equipment arriving at our house early in the morning and clogging up the road all day long. I’ll defend myself a tad by saying that I was using EQ7 (which I barely know how to use) and was concentrating on block size to create a specific size lap quilt instead of thinking about the measurements of the block construction. Unfortunately, the problem this could cause didn’t dawn on me until I started to make a test block and realized that a Kansas City star can make a 16″ block, but that means the internal squares are 4 1/4″ and the square in a square blocks end up being and awkward 5 7/8″.
I’ve also discovered that square in a square construction is quite a bit of a pain. I could foundation (paper) piece the blocks, but that seems like as much work as piecing the triangles the traditional way.
Here is my test block
I originally designed this with a gorgeous coral instead of the tan grape vines – too me and not enough the recipient. My EQ7 skills do not include taking the above photo and making it a quilt. I can get it into EQ7 as a photo, but I can’t make the photo a block to make into a quilt to save my life. (If you know how, please tell me.) So here’s a photo collage version. Being a collage, the space between the blocks looks like sashing. Bleh, but it gives me a good idea of how the final quilt will look.
……….or how it WOULD have looked if I hadn’t cut up almost all of my fabric and realized I didn’t have enough of the neutral to make all of the blocks.
Now I was faced with scrapping the whole design, taking apart my center block, mixing in another neutral, and redesigning the quilt. I went with what seemed the easiest at the time – redesign, but now I was faced with pre-cut fabric and a 16″ block. In order to best use my precut triangles, I needed to resize to 3″ increments. The only way to use the block I already had was to add borders and make this into a type of medallion quilt.
This is my graph paper design – I wrote all over it, counting squares and calculating fabric availability. This is a picture before it got really bad.
—–and finished. The picture looks odd because my quilt holders were holding it up sideways., so I rotated the picture. I can’t complain about them though; they held it for pictures when it was about 32 degrees at 7:45 on their way to school.
I still struggle with pictures of the quilting, but it is pretty heavily quilted with a different pattern in each major piecing motif. This is the best shot I got.
Off for delivery this weekend
Have a wonderful holiday and sew forth!